Please join us on Zoom for this 4-session community conversation series to explore the state of our democracy and how we might move toward a more perfect union (register here). This free discussion program is open to all and organized in partnership with multiple organizations at Leisure World in Silver Spring, Maryland, including the Friends of India Association, the Center for Lifelong Learning, the Diversity Relations Council, the Republican Club, and the Democratic Club. Each 75-minute session (4pm-5:15pm EST) will feature facilitated small-group discussions that are participatory, generous, and exploratory. Themes for the four sessions will include:
- February 3rd: What does it mean to participate in a democracy?
- What are your thoughts and feelings about the recent election and the transfer of power in our democracy?
- If we think of democracy as a self-governing society, what concerns do you have about the health of our democracy?
- February 10th: What is the role of information in a democracy?
- What concerns and challenges are there about the quality of information and about the ways we get information in our democracy?
- How might a healthy self-governing society deal with these concerns and challenges?
- February 17th: What is democracy, and what is it not?
- What are other aspects of being a healthy democracy that we have not yet discussed?
- What are the key concerns or questions about democracy that we might need to address?
- February 24th: Looking forward, how might we move toward a more perfect union?
- What’s your vision of a healthy democracy, a healthy self-governing society?
- What are some different pathways we might take to enact those visions?
Our Community Conversations operate with three basic agreements: be generous, be bold, and have fun. You can register for this free discussion series by clicking on the blue “Register !” button below, which will take you to the Eventbrite registration website. There you can register for each session (select session date first) and then provide your name and email (only) so we can email you the Zoom link for each session. If your schedule allows, we encourage you to register for all four sessions, but please feel free to register for any sessions you can attend.Register !